The saying “What you put in, is what you get out” has never held more weight when you run a marathon.
During your training for the Two Oceans Ultra or Half Marathon, you should use your long runs as race day prep. Try out different foods to see what works for you and what doesn’t. The good news is that you can train your gut, so you’ll become used to consuming specific energy gels or liquids.
My 6 Nutrition Tips:
- Don’t fall into the trap of trying something new on race day. You might be tempted to grab all the snacks from the water points along the route, but if you’re not used to it you’ll find yourself praying for a porter potty instead of the finish line!
- At least two days before a race, I would reduce high fiber foods and keep it clean, no fatty or rich foods and no alcohol. Lean protein and veggies fill my plate and I drink at least 2 liters of water so I can wake up hydrated.
- The morning of the race I would eat 2-3 hours beforehand. Two or three rice cakes, with a teaspoon nut butter and a small cup of hot lemon water. You want something to kickstart your system, but don’t want to start the race starving.A small cup of coffee, banana and a slice of sourdough bread with peanut butter is also great, or oats with a piece of fruit and peanut butter.
- During the race I’ll have small sips of water at each water point after 10km, with one or two GU Chews. I run with a Fastbarin my pocket and grab a bite with some water if I’m feeling particularly hungry or in need of more energy.
- For the Two Oceans Ultra, I might have a boiled potato on the route! The low GI carbs are easily absorbed and immediately available to your body. Personally, I stay away from having energy or fizzy drinks during a race.
- Post-race, make sure you eat something within 30-45 minutes of finishing and then you can have a well-balanced meal of carbs, fats and protein after 90 minutes to refuel and recover.
Totalsports will have astand at the Two Oceans Marathon from the 17th to 19th April and there will be a smoothie bar!
Here is a Totalsports Power Up smoothie to give you that extra boost for your training preparation andhelp aid your post training recovery.
See video here: https://youtu.be/Da2XWMEgURA
Power Up Smoothie
250ml Almond Milk
1 Frozen Banana
1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
1 tsp Almond Butter
1 tsp Honey
Blend until smooth and enjoy before or after your workout.